Monday, May 15, 2023

 Do we want to please God or would we rather just displease Him?

Disclaimer: I am not comparing myself to God. I am only trying to understand Parent/Child relationships and what we learn from our earthly ones.

An interesting situation happened last week, that made me reflect a lot upon my choices.  Camille had gone to the mall with her friends, and decided to get her ears pierced again.

When I got home she quickly said, "I did something your not going to like." I said, "Oh yeah, what?" and she proceeds to show me her ears. I said, "You're right, I don't like it." 

I then said, "I still love you though." and that was that.

A few days later, I ask her about it. I said, "Millie, how did you know I wasn't going to like what you did?" She said, "I don't know." I then said, what did you tell yourself to convince yourself to do it?" Again, I don't know.  It wasn't out of rebellion, I just wanted to do it. I still feel worthy to go to the temple."

I look at her, then I said, this isn't about your worthiness, this is about not respecting me. Knowing that I won't like it, but doing it anyway.

Later I find out that there were some people that supported her in her decision.  They didn't support her in her decision to please me, but in her decision to do what she wanted to do. And to Camille, those people are her true friends. I find that interesting.  It doesn't matter if what you are choosing is right or wrong, it only matters if you are being supported. bizzare!


Then I got to thinking. How many times do I do that with my Heavenly Father. I know what He wants, what He expects, but sometimes I just do what I want to do anyway.  

Am I truly seeking to please Him in the things that I am choosing to do? 


Are we seeking to please Him or ourselves? 

No comments: