Tuesday, May 12, 2009

To Nurture a Child...

Emily made this for me for Mother's Day! With Millie and Bubba's help. It is so cute. She made it out of cardboard. The bottom part is the song, "You are my sunshine."
I have been thinking a lot about Mother's Day and how my thoughts about it have changed so much.
I used to think that I wanted gifts and I wanted to be pampered and if I wasn't then the day was just dumb and my family didn't really care about me.
But now, it doesn't have anything to do with that. It is about me being a nurturer. It is about all those that have nurtured me. It is about spending time with my children. Talking with them. Laughing with them. Singing with them. It's about the gift that God has given me and how I choose to take care of it.
If you are a daughter of God, then you have the desire to nurture, whether you have children or not. We are so lucky to be given this calling from our Father in Heaven. I have had a lot of people nurture me throughout my life. Even now, as an adult, I still have friends that are important to me, and nurture me, not as a child, but as a wife and mother and friend. I go to them for guidance, for understanding and sometimes even just to vent. I find strength through my friendships with other women.
Thank you to all of you who have touched my life.
Thank you mom, for being such a great mom. I love you!

3 comments:

dhillman said...

I love Emily's creation. So sweet. I am glad you had a great Mother's Day

Unknown said...

Sorena, you are an incredible mother, I have always loved your parenting skills, I admire your patience and love! I too, this mother's day, just relished being with my kids and loved the time spent...the song wrote that was so heart felt...so far more important than the material things. Thanks so much for your thoughts and example... Love you my friend.

Whitney said...

That is super cute! It was a great day!